Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Warbler fun

This morning we had a Black-and-white Warbler singing it's "wee-see-wee-see-wee-see" song as it moved through our woods.

Then we heard the Chestnut-sided Warbler's "pleased-pleased-pleased-to-meetcha" song.

We also heard a Magnolia Warbler singing and heard Northen Waterthrush near our pond. Warblers have been moving through here in southern NH every day. We have had lots and lots of Black-and-white Warblers, less numbers of some others. It's such a rich time of year for birdlife. We love to sit with coffee on the deck, first thing in the morning, and just listen and watch with our binos. It's my favorite time of day and I feel like I am connected to nature and in touch with the birds, even though I have to "go to work" and spend the rest of the day behind the computer.
It really helps if you learn the songs of some of these birds so you will know who is there. You will always hear more birds than you see at this time of year. Start with the easy songs, such as those of the Chestnut-sided Warbler and Black-and-white Warbler I mentioned above.
Try our Stokes Field Guide To Bird Song CDs to learn the bird's songs. You can even put them on your ipod.

3 comments:

Carol said...

Such a beautiful little bird. He has so much expression on his face.

www.wildlifearoundus.blogspot.com

Nicole said...

I'm in WI and we had a Magnolia Warbler in our yard this morning, I was so excited! Had to come online and search by description to find out what kind of bird I was looking at. Your pictures are great, had to send your link to my mother-in-law to show her what I saw! :)

RiveredgeInsider said...

Our bird club is doing a workshop on warbler identification. Thanks for the great pics and ornithology.