Search This Blog

Friday, November 14, 2008

Armchair Birding

Armchair birding is part of a birding life. Recently we decided to rearrange some of our furniture and plunk ourselves in front of our big window so we could do more birding in the morning while having coffee. We keep binoculars, spotting scope, field guides and our bird journal handy. We love it! It enables us to do birding before going to work, or when the weather is terrible and we can't go out. It's amazing what you can see if you just keep your binos handy and look out your window at your bird feeders and beyond. Armchair birding is now part of our birding life, maybe it can be part of yours too.

4 comments:

Ryan O'Donnell said...

I've taken armchair birding a step further. I try to enter into Ebird the birds I see or hear from my house at least once a week. My count usually starts as I lay in bed, fighting the alarm clock and identifying the birds I hear outside by their calls.

Lillian Stokes said...

Great idea Ryan! Ebird is an excellent resource.

Mary C said...

I guess you can say I do armchair birding too, since my desktop computer sits by my master bedroom window and my binocs and Stokes Field Guide are handy in a draw next to my desk. I get to see all the birds visiting the feeders in my backyard first thing in the morning. I love it!

Unknown said...

fun!, what an easy way to bird!!!!